Commercial Construction - Field Superintendent
Company: Z CONSTRUCTORS
Posted on: June 18, 2022
Job Title: FIELD SUPERINTENDENTDepartment: FIELD SERVICESReports
To: GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT and/orVICE PRESIDENTPosition Summary:To
provide on-site coordination for all phases of construction
projects, including coordinating sub-contractors, material and
equipment, ensuring that specifications are being strictly
followed, and work is proceeding on schedule and within budget.
Field Superintendent is responsible for scheduling, inspections,
quality control, and job site safety.Job Scope:The Project
Superintendent is solely responsible for and will be held
accountable for the timely completion of the project and ensuring
that the project is constructed in strict accordance with plans,
specifications, and local codes. Field Superintendent schedules all
subcontractors, consultants, and vendors, as well as ensures their
completion of work within time allowed. The Field Superintendent is
responsible for the coordination of work directed in the field,
provide work is performed in accordance with plans and
specifications. Conflicts or revisions to the plan shall be
communicated with the project team (i.e. superiors, architect,
engineer, consultant, and owner) for mutual resolution, prior to
execution of work that deviates from the approved plans. The Field
Superintendent establishes and enforces job site quality control
programs to ensure quality completion of construction. The Field
Superintendent does not have authorization to engage in monetary
agreements (subcontracts, change orders, work authorizations). All
request for monetary agreements must be communicated to the project
team for consideration prior to work performed.Essential
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical
path to ensure timely completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding
the work being performed.
- Communicate with project team regarding ASI's, RFI's, and
- Ensure that subcontractor is fully executing and complying with
his contracted scope of work.
- Coordinate required inspections with local jurisdictions.
- Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety, health, and
environmental quality standards.
- Identify conflicts in construction progress and communicate
them to project team for resolution.
- Maintain daily log of activities on the jobsite in
- Perform Superintendent duties at multiple job sites,
simultaneously - when necessary.
- Ensure subcontractor has corrected all deficiencies identified
by project team.
- Walk project daily to monitor activities and assist in future
- Preside over weekly subcontractor meetings designed to
coordinate the work.
- Issue notices of non-compliance to subcontractors in regards to
quality of work or scheduling.
- Ensure that the job site is always kept in a clean and
- Perform job progress and completion punch list identification
and completion.Secondary Functions:
- Assist in budgeting, bidding, and award of subcontracts.
- Assist in obtaining permits or approval of revisions.
- Gather project material submittals and maintain records of
approvals at the job-site.
- Identify areas of work that are outside of subcontracted
- Preside at pre-construction meeting with each
- Opening the jobsite at beginning of the day and securing the
jobsite at the end of the day.
- Assist in hiring sub-tier employees.Supervisory
Responsibility:The Field Superintendent supervises all
subcontractors, consultants, and vendors on a daily basis. This
supervision ensures adequate manpower is available for each task
and compliant work performed. This position is responsible for
monitoring project security personnel. Field Superintendent also
supervises all Assistant Superintendents.Knowledge, Skills and
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst 30+
subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Communicate using the following tools: telephone, email,
laptop/notebook computer, and cloud-based software
- Blueprint reading.
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer
situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer
feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and
assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not
blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without
interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others'
ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in
positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification;
Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills;
Participates in meetings. Ability to speak effectively before
groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits
work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs;
Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret
written information. Ability to read and interpret documents such
as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and
- Mathematical Skills - Calculates figures and amounts such as
discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic
algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability - Solves practical problems and deals with a
variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited
standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities;
Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views;
- Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive
team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to
build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives;
Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities;
Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or
schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts
well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration
regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for
ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve
performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in
timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures;
Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports
potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change,
delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time;
Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at
meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management
direction; Takes responsibility for own actions;
- Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary
to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate
person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development
activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent
actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of
opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.Education
and/or Experience:Minimum of TEN years of verifiable experience,
thorough knowledge of trades and be computer literate. Experience
with Procore and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Project and
Outlook) is also preferred.***ESSENTIAL DUTIES***Physical
Demands:The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Must be able to travel to the jobsite(s) as assigned.
- This position involves work at a construction site where duties
will be performed both indoors and outdoors.
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard,
mouse and other business machines.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is
regularly required to stand and walk;
- Use hands to handle or feel;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
- Talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50
pounds.Work Environment:The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of
this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes
or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and
extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or
caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and risk of vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties
and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and
marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Keywords: Z CONSTRUCTORS, Richardson , Commercial Construction - Field Superintendent, Professions , Richardson, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!